The ABC’s of Nonprofits
Written for practitioners and nonprofit organizations, this guidebook offers a basic introduction to what a nonprofit corporation is; how it is formed, options for organizational structure; operating the corporation; basic tax; and much more.
The book is written in an example format with a practitioner advising a client on the key steps for establishing a nonprofit corporation. A related bibliography is included plus a sample form for an organization addressing a policy on “conflict of interest.”
Author: Lisa A. Runquist
Publication Date: April 2015
Guidebook for Directors of Nonprofit Corporations
A valuable reference for directors and prospective directors of big and small nonprofit corporations. This book includes practical suggestions and checklists and information on advisory boards, taxation, fund-raising, and much more.
Publisher: ABA Book Publishing
Publication Date: 2012
Guide to Representing Religious Organizations
Guide to Representing Religious Organizations addresses critical issues and risk factors of concern for religious organizations ranging from formation and governance, to taxes, fundraising and employment issues, and property rights.
It outlines the general requirements of applicable law and highlights areas in which religious organizations receive special consideration under the law.
The Guide’s topical discussions are well organized for ease of reference. This book will assist attorneys who are asked to represent religious organizations as well as provide general information for religious leaders faced with a legal challenge.
Principal Author/Editor: Lisa A. Runquist
Publication Date: February 2009
This new Second Edition revises its first edition published in 2002 with hundreds of up-to-date listings of books, handbooks, professional journals, government publications, foundation reports, case and statutory cites, and Internet sites.
Each entry includes complete bibliographic details to guide you straight to the information you need. Entries are arranged by topic for quick, convenient look-up.
Authors: Lisa A. Runquist & Victor Futter
Publication Date: February 2007
- Charity Channel – place where nonprofit professionals can connect, learn from each other, share information and work together to advance the cause of philanthropy.
- GuideStar.org – the leader in providing comprehensive data on more than 1.5 million nonprofit organizations, connecting them with donors, foundations, businesses, and governing agencies in a nationwide community of giving.
- The Nonprofit FAQs – a compilation of frequently asked questions, and their answers, based on online communications about nonprofits (mostly in the United States of America) beginning in the early 1990s.
- IRS Tax Information for Charities & Nonprofits – news and information regarding tax exempt organizations and the IRS
General Legal Information
- American Bar Association
- The Legal Information Institute
- Thomas – Legislative Information on the Internet
- American Bar Association – Tax Law Sites – compiled links to federal tax related websites
California Government Links
- California Secretary of State
- Franchise Tax Board
- California Courts
- State Bar of California
- California Code
- California Legislative Information